[OT] new Mac software: GarageBand and iLife'04

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jan 9 02:16:05 EST 2004

On 1/8/04 10:40 PM, "Mark Wieder" <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> Hard to tell much on the show floor with all the other activity
> around, but with all that the samples sounded good to my ears. If the
> loops really are intrument samples, then transposing them *should*
> affect the quality somewhat. You can't change the key and keep the
> same timbre. Commercial musical instruments that are based on samples
> typically use several samples per octave.

Yes, my mistake, with transposing (not tempo changes) there would be some
quality loss, but I would think the change in quality is probably not as
overt as tweaking a simple five second audio clip.  Out of curiosity, have
you used Soundtrack and if so, what is your impression of that app?

One thing they also told me was that there's no real mixing facility in GB;
you can only affect some overall eq/filter settings for the entire set of
tracks when exporting the final tune.  Maybe the next version...

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design