OT Re: Interfaces: PC and MAC ------OT

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Jan 6 13:11:54 EST 2004

On Jan 6, 2004, at 11:07 AM, Alex Rice wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2004, at 10:41 AM, Trevor DeVore wrote:
>> Actually AAC is the MPEG-4 standard made by dolby
>> <http://www.vialicensing.com/products/mpeg4aac/standard.html>.
>
> Ah. Thanks. I guess I made a common mistake:
>
> """Apple should have used "MP4" instead of AAC, that's what it is
> afterall. People would have seen the association with MP3 and say "Oh,
> COOL, it's even better than MP3." Instead they have no idea what AAC
> is. I'm sure they assume that one of those A's stands for Apple, just
> like the W in WMA stands for Windows. Apple Audio Codec, Apple Audio
> Control, etc."""
> <http://www.macobserver.com/comments/commentindivdisplay.shtml?
> id=36749>

True, AAC is not very well known as a name.  I wonder if they were
required to use this name though.  Since it is just using the AAC codec
which is just a part of the MPEG-4 standard  it might have been
required due to some licensing issues or something.  I don't really
know, just guessing.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia