Interfaces: PC and MAC and the screenGamma property...

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Sat Jan 3 14:33:19 EST 2004

On Jan 3, 2004, at 3:56 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Which raises the obvious question:  When will Apple play nice and
> adopt the
> predominant standard?

For graphics, print and video production Macs *are* the standard. FWIW
SGIs also used a similar gamma- and they were used in graphics and
video a lot. TV and Video production is just different than PC computer
graphics I guess.

I'm not sure, but from what I've read, it's not as simple as twiddling
a decimal number for the gamma somewhere in the system defaults.

<http://www.poynton.com/notes/colour_and_gamma/GammaFAQ.html>
<http://www.poynton.com/PDFs/Mac_gamma.pdf>

Now AFAIK quickdraw is obsoleted and now the graphics API is
Quartz+CoreGraphics, which does not use QuickDraw at all. Maybe the
gamma model is the same?

> I hear they're finally considering a two-button mouse; is a universal
> gamma
> setting so unthinkable?

Hating Macs today, Richard? Actually I use a 3 button scrollwheel mouse
on all my Macs. But

Control-click == Right click

if you are ever using a 1 button mouse.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |