Important question regarding next major Rev version

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Feb 27 00:10:51 EST 2004

> Right now, we have a number of apps just waiting in the wings to be released,
> and they work just fine, transcript can handle everything without problems,
> but we do not want to spoil our reputation by putting up something that can't
> even display standard UI elements properly.

Just curious, what type of applications do you have which are able to be
deployed but you're embarrassed by the GUI? Perhaps if you show some of
us, we can offer you advice on how to create a more professional
interface. That way you can release your applications and generate some
revenue, which I'm sure is a priority for your company.

While native look and feel is certainly important at times, it is not
mandatory for commercial success. Just look at all of the video editing
programs on the shelves at your local computer store. None (ZERO) use
the standard look and feel.

In fact one of the biggest offenders on XP regarding non-standard
controls and look-and-feel, is Microsoft (Apple does the same on the Mac).

Human Interface Guidelines are just that -- guidelines. Apple pioneered
them in the early days for those developers who knew nothing of GUI and
for users so they could be comfortable and more quickly understand how
to use an application. That has changed.

Now, with web applications and Flash front-ends on websites, along with
the myriad of multimedia, edutainment and gaming interfaces, users are
*smarter* and no longer need be handheld. In fact, many people enjoy
different interfaces. I remeber when Kai Krause brought out some of
MetaCreations products. They were a precursor to some of the alpha
effects adopted later by Apple, and very interesting to use.

One of the tests of great designers is being able to design within a set
of given constraints. While you may find it difficult, I'm sure others
here would be glad to lend a hand in helping you create professional
interfaces.

> Again, that is why many are calling RR a toy, even though it is not so. It is
> time to put a stop to that. Not only does it hurt RR's reputation and
> bottomline, it's also holding back many developers...

Val, this is the first time I've heard RR referred to as a 'toy.' Can
you provide any links or print references for this? I would certainly
like to have the chance to offer a rebuttle to those authors.

Also, for the many other developers being held back please speak up as I
would be more than happy to lend a hand in helping create a more
professional appearance GUI (until support for XP themes is released).

-Chipp