XP Embedded and Revolution

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Feb 25 09:51:55 EST 2004

On Monday, February 23, 2004, at 06:00 PM, Dar Scott wrote:
> Tuesday morning I will attend a presentation on Windows XP Embedded.
> Has anybody run command-line Revolution on XP Embedded?  Any idea
> whether that might work?
> How about a regular gui standalone?

We discussed this at the presentation yesterday.  I haven't popped open
the eval to try it.

An XPe system can be configured in a day.

Normally, Revolution would not be the choice in creating embedded
systems.  However, Revolution standalones and command-line scripts
might have a role in larger '86 embedded systems:

   1.  They could be used in quick mockups perhaps with support of
externals.
   2.  They could play a partial role:
           A.  With c/c++ WIN32 apps doing more critical work.
           B.  With RTX apps doing more critical work.

RTX is an 3rd party add-on to XPe that allows real-time apps to run
side-by-side with XPe.

It is easy to get started with XPe licensing wise.  $990 for the
builder (I might be getting names mixed up) and $880 for a ten-pack
license.

I looked briefly at CE.  That is very different.  You build a
monolithic program that looks like an OS with apps.  It might go into
ROM.  It will take much longer to build something.  Months.  Besides
little control devices, this might be good for things like PDAs.  The
WIN32 interface is incomplete and behaves a little weird, so most
programs will need tweaking.  Adding a Revolution engine looks like it
would take getting a source license, then thinning and re-coding and
doing lots of testing.  Fortunately, there are good emulation tools.
So, adding a Revolution engine to one's CE project is a serious
undertaking.  For that matter, any CE project is serious.  Well, that's
the impression I got.

Dar Scott