Pitch shifting sounds

Jim Lyons jimlyons at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 10:41:34 EST 2004

One of my students (age 11, more background below if you're interested)
wants to make a sound/music program. He wants to know how to change the
pitch of a recorded sound, like we could do in HC. For example, to
record "Doo" and then be able to play a scale with it. I'm pretty sure
there is no capability to do this directly in Rev (or is there?) but
are there externals to accomplish this? Any help on this or other
related sound functions would be appreciated.

(More background on us: I get to tutor two advanced middle school
students who are interested in programming, and in computer
applications in scientific research. I had their parents buy them Rev
back when it was $99 for an express license and they have really taken
off with it. We developed a program last semester to run 1- and
2-dimensional cellular automata and they found some amazing things on
their own with it. They showed their results at a presentation at the
university here, demonstrating it live on Revolution, which I thought
was much cooler than all the other fancy PowerPoints we had to sit
through. We are continuing the project this semester and are developing
a program to investigate multi-state CA. The student mentioned above
has also made a good start at game programming on his own; he knows
more about how Geoff Canyon's battle game works than I do. I just can't
say enough about how great Rev is for teaching, and for getting
students interested in how things work, and empowering them to go where
they want with it. Keep it up RunRev, and don't forget about these kids
with very few resources -- they'll be your customers and evangelists in
a few years.)

Jim Lyons