save dialogue stuck

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 23 11:41:16 EST 2004

> Scott Raney used to recommend that stacks not go above
 > 3-5,000 cards or so before being moved to a more formal
 > database. That isn't a hard number, just a suggestion.

That's predicated on the assumption that you're using a stack as a flat
table.  If you use arrays or tab-delimited chunks in custom properties
you can safely exceed that by many times; I've been working with a data
set here of about 50,000 records in a simple list, and my WebMerge
product processes exported databases as tab-delimited text quickly -- we
have some customers processing 100,000 records without a hitch.

Of course, keep in mind it's all RAM-based so if your records are large
you may get tight on memory.  But like the old Panaroma database product
shows, RAM-based databases can be viable in many circumstances.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation