Multilingual apps (was: Re: Beginners global variable pb)

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 20 13:45:37 EST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:25:25 +0100, Leraillez Benoit <Leraillez at netinfo.fr>
wrote:

> > The basic idea here is that, instead of having a hidden card, you
> > have sets of custom properties for each card - one set for each
> > language - to hold the correct text for that card.
>
>   Ok but if I need to change texts because my translations are incorrect or
>if I add a new language, in a table I just add a column containing the texts
>and the whole stack is translated with a new language or I just import a tab
>separated new version and the errors are all corrected without having to go
>thru every card and finding the field properties by hand. Am I right?

Yes, I think you have a point there. I agree that if one is to have texts
in other languages, chances are that there will be errors, and/or the whole
set of texts will have to be created by a non-programmer. A real example I
have is for an educational application written with English in mind having
to be used in a Welsh-speaking environment. I'm not a Welsh-speaker, so I
need to be able to give my list of original texts to an outside person as a
text file, and get back a line-by-line translation in Welsh. I then need a
rapid and tidy way of getting the Welsh text back into my application. IMHO
I could only get all this data into Custom Property sets either by placing
all the text strings by hand in many different objects and cards or by
writing a kind of special interpreter that would take the text file and
manipulate it appropriately according to the exact structure and use of all
the custom props; either option seems a convoluted way to go about things -
but YMMV. My own preferred option is to go for a simplified manual approach
where every string that needs to be changed according to language is set in
one particular handler ('setUpParameters'), and I simply read the Welsh (or
whatever) text file into a text editor and paste each line directly into
the Transcript code, all in one concentrated place in the app. This is
crude but in fact works rather well.

Just my 2 eurocents

Graham