Transcript and/or ECMA

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Tue Feb 17 10:59:39 EST 2004

I agree with Rob.

But it's true that you can write
local c=5

and c=5 is considerable shorter
and more readable than put 5 into c...

Just that would be a nice addition...

cheers
---------------------=---------------------
Xavier Bury
Clearstream Services
TNS NT LAN Server
ext 36465
Voice: +352 4656 43 6465
Fax: +352 4656 493 6465

Rob Cozens <rcozens at pon.net>
Sent by: use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com
17/02/04 14:43
Please respond to How to use Revolution

        To:     How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: Transcript and/or ECMA

.

Hi All,

I must be a real foole: in thirty years of programming involving at
least 10 programming languages it never occurred to me to suggest to
the creator of the language I was currently learning to change the
syntax to incorporate syntax from another language.  Rather, I
assumed there was some unifying logic behind the syntax that tailored
that language to perform the role its creator(s) had in mind at its
inception.

Frankly, I feel that those who suggest syntax changes to Transcript
with no better justification than "it will make the Transcript more
acceptable to java scriptors" or "it will make Transcript seem more
profession to C programmers" are missing the point:  Transcript is
Transcript, javascript is javascript, and C is C.  If you want java
syntax, script in javascript, if you want C syntax, program in C.

And if you want changes in Transcript syntax, PLEASE offer a better
reason than "it will help programmers with experience on other
platforms."  IMFO, those programmers are better served by learning
many languages as each presents itself; thus broadening their arsenal
of problem-solving approaches.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company