SystemWindow editable fields?

Dan Soneson sonesond1 at southernct.edu
Sun Feb 15 11:23:11 EST 2004

I just discovered the systemWindow property, which presents great
possibilities for me in terms of building a web browser navigator. I am
interested in directing the user to a specific web site and then
presenting a set of activities and tasks to do with the material on the
web page, for educational purposes. The systemWindow property allows me
to keep my activity screen floating above the web page, even when the
browser is the active application.

However, it seems I am not able to enter text into editable text fields
in my window. I can select the field, but cannot enter text. I can drag
text from the web page into one of the fields in my window, but once
there, cannot edit the text either. (only tried with Rev 2.1.2 and OS X
10.2.6 so far)

I attempt to set the stack to editable via the topLevel command -- to
no effect, with one exception. If I include a button with the following
script, it works just fine:

on mouseUp
    answer "You can now enter text into any field"
    lock messages
    topLevel this stack
    unlock messages
end mouseUp

It seems calling up the answer dialog box allows me to set my stack to
the toplevel. Without the answer dialog, the topLevel command has no
effect. However, whenever I click on the browser window I lose the
ability to enter or modify text in the fields in my window, until I run
the answer dialog again.

Is there any way to topLevel my systemWindow stack without a dialog
box? Or any other workaround for allowing users to enter text into a
stack with the systemWindow property set to true?

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel B. Soneson
Director, Language Lab