Sticky palettes

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Feb 14 03:51:29 EST 2004

on 2/13/04 9:03 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com at
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:42:42 -0500
> From: Thomas McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
> Subject: Re: Sticky palettes

> I have this stack that does it. BUT i used someone else's code and
> butchered it to suit my needs. It works. That is all I can say. But the
> code is not very pretty.
----------
I thought it was...lots of color seps ;-)

Almost there...thanks very much for the lead.

Yes, I see what's happening, and I've already done lots of similar stuff,
but it's a grab situation, not quite what I wanted.

I want the _palette_ to dock such that it moves with the standard window,
just the opposite of what's happening here. Drag the main standard
_normally_  by its titlebar, and have the palette move with it. I don't
really want it as a live grab, but rather the normal desktop ghost move,
because, as it works in the example, it messes with the screen redraw under
it.

I think the grab is fine for the use it has in the example, but in my
situation, the palette is for navigation, opening and closing windows, and
searches. It's OK for it to travel docked into a window, but I also need to
drag it normally by its own titlebar and pull it free from the mothership.

All it does is stuff I would need to do in each open window, but without
having to repeat the same set of nav buttons, or open a separate search
dialog, or...well, you get it by now, I'm sure. The docking business is just
for convenience.

But the routines in the example are on the right track, and may end up being
the only type of solution, if I can't come up with something to continuosly
retrieve the window loc under normal Windows drag conditions.

Thanks again,
Ken N.