Tagging certain objects with contact, copyright, etc

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Feb 7 20:35:33 EST 2004

On Saturday, February 7, 2004, at 05:59 PM, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

> An alternative approach might be to create a custom property set to
> hold these properties.
>
> I dislike encoding metadata into a prefix or suffix in the name
> (although it's a common practice). Creating a custom property set
> "bundles" all these properties in one handy place,

I like this!

This also works well for grouping meta data into suites.

I was thinking that for custom controls that require a supporting
library that some metadata would be allowed to come from the library.
I have to think about whether this can still be done or whether it is
important.

> It also makes it easy to enforce the "read-only" status with a setProp
> handler, without interfering with other custom properties or having to
> list all the read-only properties in a handler.

Well, before you brought the custom property set idea, for each
metadata property I was thinking of (1) a setProp to ignore the set (or
optionally to change the value) and optionally (2) a virtual getProp.

My concern was to be friendly in the environment of the "Custom
Properties" pane and I'm not sure how to minimize any confusion here.

However, I'm not sure how to do the "read-only" for a custom property
set or if it is important.

Thanks for your advice.

Dar Scott