Dialogs in library organization

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 4 21:15:37 EST 2004

Dar Scott wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 04:50 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:
>
>>> It seems that _in general_ the Distribution Builder cannot create a
>>> single monolithic application.  It can take only one stack file and
>>> create an application.  However, it can move over the other stack
>>> files and set some properties appropriately.  Fortunately, on OS X,
>>> the stacks are put down inside the application bundle, so the result
>>> looks effectively monolithic.  (I don't understand the rationale for
>>> the particular folder, but that is a separate issue.)  However, on
>>> Windows, all stack files other than that of the primary stack file
>>> are outside the application.
>>
>> This is a correct assesment of the situation. I'm not sure how you
>> could create a single executable file from multiple stack files and
>> retain your original message path. Perhaps if a standalone had it's
>> own emulated directory structure but I doubt that would ever happen.
>
> I wasn't sure either, but I got the impression the DB somehow did it.
> There is no indication that it does not.
>
> I pictured that it would contain all the stacks with the mainStack and
> subStacks values intact and there was some special pointer or something
> to the primary mainstack.  Those runrev folks are pretty smart, so I
> figured they figured it out.
>
> Then I got a clue that a standalone was as stackfile...

I think you may have just provided some important usability feedback about
the conceptual complexity of the Distribution Builder's advanced options.

Most folks redily grasp the one-stackfile->one-stadalone paradigm.  But with
the DB's two sets of "Inclusion" controls each being very different things,
one of those being on a card for importing stackfiles that also lets you
export those stacks to separate stackfiles again, and none of these labeled
as "Advanced", it can be quite a lot to wrap one's head around.

If it confused a person with your IQ just imagine what it does to 100s. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation