Library stack organization and standalones

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 4 21:04:59 EST 2004

Dar Scott wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 05:04 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> True.  I build the same for all platforms, even the IDE, and use this
>> function to help find stacks and media files:
>>
>> <http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/metacard/2002-September/002553.html>
>
> Thanks!
>
> I've been doing this the hard way all this time.  I have been assuming
> that the DB _did_ build monolithic applications, so I have been leaving
> my libraries out and then 'start using' in a brute force manner.  Since
> I have been leaving the libraries out (so the app could get them
> itself), I never realized that they would not be in the app anyway.
>
> I think this may be a doc problem.  I thought build a standalone meant
> build a standalone.

It does, in the sense that the application doesn't need a separate "player"
engine.

The Distribution Builder is a complex beast, with its ability to copy stacks
into your standalone and copy stacks our into separate stack files, all at
build time.

Us "old schoolers" who started out with MC fell into the habit of building
with the structure we want in the standalone, since the MC builder just
bound the VM to your specified stack file without any of the extras.  One
project, one structure, any environment, including the IDE.

In fact, before a few users explained the utility of the Distro Builder's
more advanced options it had been unclear to me why anyone might structure
their app's files in a manner other than how they want as a standalone.
Thanks to those explanations I understand the intention, but I still prefer
to minimize differences between the development environment and the
standalone; it may be superstition, as those who do otherwise report few
problems, but I have enough debugging to do in my stuff as it is. :)

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation