RunRev vs RealBasic

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Dec 31 03:04:15 EST 2004

Hi Michael,

Hope you don't mind me chiming in here. Like Richard, Ken and others, I
make a living programming in RR. I write apps for myself, and for
others. I've previous experience in VB, but not RB.

I think a good way to evaluate the potential 'power' of a program, is to
look at some apps which have been developed with it. To that end, you
may wish to visit our site:

www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRevCaseStudies/Hemingway.htm

where you'll find some info on Hemingway, our Content Management System.
Others can probably point you to some other apps as well. We also have
developed for Altuit a version control system, _MagicCarpet_ along with
a professional button rendering system: ButtonGadget

www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/MagicCarpetCover/default.htm
www.buttongadget.com

along with a few quickies including an HTML editor called HTMLgadget and
small image manipulation program called ImageGadget (you probaly are
getting the 'gadget' theme here;-)

Currently I'm working for a client and doing a complete rewrite of their
stalled RB development project. We're scheduled to complete the whole
product in under 2 months. Though I don't know the RB developer, I do
know the client is very happy with the many additional features I can
add quickly using our own proprietary self-updating plugin architecture
based on RunRev.

Of course, just because a developer in RR can accomplish something a RB
developer cannot, doesn't necessarily say anything about the 2
platforms, perhaps only about the developer.

Our company develops some very large scale Enterprise apps (including
one for Homeland Security) and we usually use RR as tier-1 in a 3-tier
architecture. I've yet to run across anything I can't build that I've
wanted to. I imagine both Ken and Richard probably feel the same. And if
I did need a new feature, the functionality is only an external away
(see altBrowser on our RunRev site).

Even then, I've only used 2 externals since 2001 when I started
programming in RR: altBrowser (Safari and IE plugin), and revZipper (zip
plugin for PC- you can shell it on the mac).

Unless you're somewhat familiar with HyperCard or Xtalk languages, IMO,
the learning curve can be somewhat steep for traditional developers-- in
fact, I think it can be steeper for traditional developers than for newbies.

My business partner is an accomplished C programmer. He marvels at xTalk
simplicity but admits it's confusing to read:

wait while it is not empty with messages
:-)

The good thing is this list is monitored continually and if you are
articulate in your posting style, your answers are typically only a few
minutes away.

best of luck,

Chipp Walters, Altuit, Inc.
www.chipp.com