Passing Click from Image to Field?

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Dec 28 15:59:24 EST 2004

On Dec 28, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Looking for some new thinking on a problem:
>
> I have a translucent image which overlays a scrolling list field.  I
> need to
> have the list field accept mouse clicks but because the overlaying
> image is
> only semi-transparent (not 100%) it prevents mouse clicks from
> reaching the
> list field.
>
> The only way I've been able to get around this is a kludge of locking
> the
> screen on mouseDown, hiding the image, using the click command to
> click at
> the mouse location, and then showing the image and unlocking the
> screen.  It
> works, but it's a little slow, and I'm wondering if there might be a
> more
> efficient/programmatic solution.
>
> BTW, the image needs to appear above the list field because it
> semi-obscures
> the text at the edges of the field.  Placing the image behind the
> field and
> making the field transparent isn't going to work in this case.
>
> Any other ideas?...

So does the image only cover text on the edges and appear completely
transparent in the center of the field?  If so could you cut the image
into four parts (left, right, top, bottom) so that the image only
overlays the field on the very edges?  Then you would only have to use
your kludge if the user clicked on the very edge of the field and you
would get normal performance otherwise.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia