Adventure Games with Revolution?

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 24 09:25:08 EST 2004

>  Roger Kenyon <edutec at sympatico.ca> asks:
>
>  I can find no dedicated Mac OS X game engine for point-and-click adventure
> games in the spirit of Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Sam & Max.
>
> Do you know of any point-and-click adventure games made with Revolution?
> General multimedia tools don't take care of the low-level game management
> and there are few or no adventure games templates. Revolution has potential,
> but I would really like a template.
>
> Would anybody be open to making a Revolution point-and-click adventure game
> to guide others?

My 8th grade students make adventure games in Rev every quarter.  I don't
actually know that much about gaming, so I'm not sure what a template
would provide for you that you couldn't program yourself.

To get them started I show them Spelunx. Yes, I know it's really old
and lame and much better adventure games exist, but (1) it was made with
HyperCard, which impresses the kids, as they know it's a precurser to
Rev, and (2) we own it.  That gets the the students thinking about the
kinds of things they can do themselves, and off they go!

We don't have a copy of Myst, or I'd show 'em that too.  Or maybe I
wouldn't -- it might intimidate some of the students; Spelunx seems
much more do-able.

I also had one girl who, although 13 years old, knew about the original
text-based adventure game, and re-created it in Rev.  It was really
well done!  (She admitted that doing a text-based game was underutilizing
Rev's features, but she wanted to do it anyway.)

So, what is a game template, and might one help my students?

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools