Network - Running A Standalone Application From A Network Server

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Dec 17 10:52:44 EST 2004

on 17/12/04 3:27 pm, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote

>> On MacOS X I'm not sure; I know that an application writing to itself,
>> possible on Mac Classic but not on Windows (which corresponds to their
>> respective positions as to whether the running app uniquely owns the file it
>> sprang from) is not possible on X; however, it doesn't appear that an X app
>> can be open twice. Someone who knows what they're talking about may be able
>> to give more detail here.
>
> An OS X program can have multiple running instances.  Additionally,
> Fast User Switching in OS X 10.3 allows several users to be logged in
> simultaneously on the same computer.  Having one user running a
> particular program does not prevent other users from running it at the
> same time.  It's partially due to the UNIX clone sitting under OS X.
>
> Note that in general, trying to start a second instance of the same
> program within a single user login session from the GUI doesn't work:
> the behavior is the same as for OS 9.  But you can start a new instance
> from a terminal window just fine.

Ah! That makes sense.  Presumably Apple decided to place the same limitation
on (the GUI in) X that they had in Classic, to avoid scaring the horses (and
app developers who might have counted on the previous behaviour). Thanks for
clearing that up, Frank.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866