Newbie: find, search command

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 16 18:32:02 EST 2004

D.Rothe wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a tab delimited list I want to be able to search, say I have a list of names for example;
>
> Father Xmas    Is Drunk
> New Years    Is after Xmas
> Rudolph    The Reindeer
> Merry Xmas    To all
>
> I want to search for ALL instances of Xmas and display the whole matching line of each found in a list field.
> So far I can get it to display the first line only ( Father Xmas    Is Drunk) !
> Any help would appreciated!!! I have checked the tutorials for help but couldn't find what I was looking for,
> is there an example stack or notes anyone may know of?

For short lists (<50,000 lines) you may be pleasantly surprised by the
speed of what might look like clunkly Transcript:

function FindData pStringToFind, pDataToSearch
   repeat for each line tLine in pDataToSearch
      if pStringToFind is in tLine then put tLine &cr after tFoundData
   end repeat
   return tFoundData
end FindData

You can call it simply enough: