[ANN} libEXIF v0.9

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Dec 15 09:20:26 EST 2004

EXIF Extraction library.

EXIF stands for Exchangeable Image File Format, the format used to store
interchange information in photo files, particularly JPEGs though it is
also used in TIFFs.  Most digital cameras now include EXIF information.

I've put the first (let's call it alpha :-) version of my EXIF extraction
library up on RevOnline. (category Programming, or under my username
alextweedly).

The stack is intended to be used as a library, but it  includes a "Test"
button to try it out on your own photo files, and an "Info & help" button
which will (some day) give real documentation. See the script under "Test"
button for the essentials.

It can extract much of the EXIF information included in JPEG and TIFF
files. I don't yet decode manufacturer specific "Makernote" info - I have
the necessary information for a few manufacturers ready to code - but don't
yet have it for Pentax *ist D (i.e. my own camera !!), so that's not top of
the priority list.

I've tested it on a few hundred photos, from probably 20 different cameras
- so I'm sure there are more crufty variations that it hasn't yet been
tested against. I'd be grateful for any reports of misbehaviour or problems.

Now that I actually have something I think is worth sharing, I'll go start
on my RunRev web page.

Thanks
-- Alex.