Connecting to PostGreSQL on same machine: Mac OSX

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon Dec 13 16:15:44 EST 2004

Actually, I could probably delete that line from mine and not miss it
at all.  That line is for IPv6 addressing support.

The "local" line is to enable UNIX local domain sockets.

The first "host" line (the one before all the "ffff" stuff) is for the
"localhost" address (which is typically implemented on a fake ethernet
controller. referred to as a loopback device, independent of the actual
ethernet card in your computer).

The second "host" line (with "ffff" stuff) is for the "localhost"
address with IPv6 support.

The third "host" line is one which I added myself; this one supports
access from the actual ethernet card (IPv4 addressing).  "host all all"
should be as I have placed it here.  192.168.0.5 is the static IP
address of my machine (but really any IP address known to be on your
subnet should work fine), and "255.255.255.0" is the subnet mask of the
machine.  "password" as opposed to "trust" means that a password should
be required ("trust" assumes that everyone is being truthful and does
not demand a password).

This info may be of interest to anyone trying to set up PostgreSQL:  to
access PostgreSQL from Rev, you need TCP/IP to be enabled in
postgresql.conf (tcpip_socket = true); you also need a line in
pg_hba.conf which dictates how authentication should be handled; for
local access, the defaults should be fine, except that after setting
your database user 'postgres' password, you should really change
"trust" to "password" everywhere.  As for network access, you need to
add a line similar to the one I did, otherwise connections from across
the network will not be accepted.  Of course, if you don't want others
to access PostgreSQL on your machine from across the network, don't add
that line.

And yes, for the problem you are describing, best to post it to a
PostgreSQL mailing list or forum.  This is getting too far OT for this
list.

On Dec 13, 2004, at 3:15 PM, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> I *had* deleted the line  with all the ffff:ffff:ffff:
>
> but.. seeing this.. I reinserted it..think, so, my pg_hba.conf looks
> just like yours

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.
$