Connecting to PostGreSQL on same machine: Mac OSX

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Sat Dec 11 11:38:46 EST 2004

On Dec 11, 2004, at 4:05 AM, Pierre Sahores wrote:

> Hello Katir,
>
> Le 11 déc. 04, à 05:51, Sivakatirswami a écrit :
>
>> Alright... I've successfully installed PostGreSQL on my mac... in the
>> terminal it's up and running, I've created a database and just now
>> did
>>
>> select * from taskroster
>>
>> and got my two test rows returned... but..
>>
>> in the Mac's activity monitor... i don't see a process named
>> "Postgres"
>
> Need to be visible there (3 lines of postgres processes), else the
> server is not running.
>
> Did you use the best Mac OS X suited installer available all around at
> <http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/>. Else, it's the
> best to do. Marc Liyanage explains all what need to be done to install
> and set up PostgreSQL on our Macs, where the Apple's official page is
> mainly "approximative"...

You shoud note that the server is not one of the "My Processes" in the
activity monitor.  Show "Other User Processes" or "All Processes" and a
process name of "postgres" should be listed three times.

I find it highly unlikely that the server is not running if you were
able to execute a query; being able to communicate with the server is
generally an indication that it is running ;-)

>> just the tcsh shell I have open to talk to Postgres...
>>
>> And also, in rev, this fails:
>>
>>  put
>> revOpenDatabase("Postgresql","localhost","katir_test","postgres","myPa
>> ssWord")
>>
>> could not connect to server: Connection refused
>> 	Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
>> 	TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> About the TCP/IP connections, they are set by default for the
> localhost only (and it enought to feet the app server needs..). You
> can if needed tune this in modifying the needed line in the
> "postgresql.conf" file.

No, this is *not* the default for the current release versions of
PostgreSQL.  By default, TCP/IP connections (the only kind you can make
to PostgreSQL through Rev) are disabled.  You need to make changes in
two files in the data directory of PostgreSQL:

You need to enable TCP/IP connections in postgresql.conf, and you need
to configure your authentication settings in pg_hba.conf.

This is not described on the page listed below, but is mentioned in the
PostgreSQL documentation; for details see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/client-authentication.html

>> my computer name on the lan is "katir.hindu.org"  but
>>
> if you expect to run the connection inside a Rev application's
> server..., use this instead of your revOpenDatabase command :
>
>  if PGLinkOpen is a number then get revdb_disconnect("projetsdac")
> put
> revOpenDatabase("Postgresql","katir.hindu.org","katir_test","postgres",
> "myPassWord") into PGLinkOpen
> It's best to send it once only in app server mode (when it start) and
> for each new request in CGI mode. Use PGLinkOpen as a global value.

Personally, I like to use a custom property for this:

set the database of this stack to revOpenDatabase(...)
if the database of this stack is not a number then
   answer error "Failed to connect to the database." & the lineDelimiter
& the lineDelimiter & the database of this stack titled "Connection
Failure"
   quit
end if