Arrays in Rev

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Dec 10 15:36:58 EST 2004

On Dec 10, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:
> Or in Lingo -
>
> myVar = [#check: [#this: [#out: "Cool"]]]
>
> put myVar.check.this.out
> -- "Cool"
>
> put myVar[1][1][1]
> -- "Cool"
>
> People will debate the usefulness of such constructs, but I have yet
> to see anything in Transcript which is nearly so elegant for complex
> iterative evaluations. I strongly believe that Transcript needs this
> type of data structuring... but then of course, I don't let go easily
> to what I've learned and switch to what some Rev users would consider
> more "native" data management techniques which *are* available, though
> *much* more "wordy" to get there, and certainly do not iterate as
> elegantly.

I too think Transcript could use some work in this area.  I really like
dealing with arrays in PHP.  It is very easy to create nested arrays
and to iterate over them since you can get the number of children of an
array element.  There are a whole bunch of fun functions for
manipulating them as well.  Though many things I would use arrays for
in PHP can be accomplished using lines and items in Transcript I find
myself needing a data type which supports nesting and iteration to more
easily model certain types of data.  I would really like to see an
improvement in this area in the future.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia