screen resolution problems

Jonathan Cooper joncooper at swiftdsl.com.au
Fri Dec 10 03:53:33 EST 2004

On Wednesday, December 8, 2004, at 02:56  PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> The easiest solution is to check on startup the screen resolution (get
> the screenRect) and if it's not big enough popup an answer warning
> dialog telling the user to please quit and change resolutions and
> relaunch.
>
> [snip]
>
> PatGeorgeA at aol.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have been developing software for testing in schools - built as a
>> windows standalone.  The program is made for a 1024 x 768 screen size
>> (the card filling about 2/3rds of the screen with a backdrop) - the
>> stack is quite complex, it contains lots script, lots of cards, each
>> with different fonts, buttons and fields.  Some of the computers we
>> wanted to use are networked and set to a screen resolution of 800 x
>> 600.   Can anyone suggest a good solution to this?  The easiest
>> solution would be to change the resolution of the host computers
>> during testing - at the end change it back.  Would this be an okay
>> thing to do and does anyone have a script that would allow me to do
>> this?   An alternative solution would be to change everything on the
>> stack?  Is this solution the best and is there any easy way to do
>> this?

What about a variation of Chipp's suggestion? (Not tested,but it should
work) :
Create a small standalone that just changes the screen resolution if
necessary then launches the REAL standalone, then quits itself.

Jonathan Cooper
Manager of Information / WWW
Art Gallery of New South Wales                   Art Gallery website:
Sydney, Australia                    http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au
Tel +61 2 9225 1796                                 Personal website:
Fax +61 2 9221 5129      http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/sub/jcooper