testing on case

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Wed Dec 8 17:24:46 EST 2004

Are you trying to test the first letter only, or the entire string?
The proposals so far only test the first character of the string.  If
you need the whole thing to be uppercase:

function uppercase ofText
   set the caseSensitive to true
   repeat for each char ch in "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
     if ch is among the chars of ofText then return false
   end repeat
   return true
end uppercase

Now you can do things like:

if uppercase(ofText) then
   -- whatever
end if

or to test the first char of each word:

function wordcase ofText
   set the caseSensitive to true
   repeat for each word w in ofText
     if char 1 of w is among the chars of "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
then return false
   end repeat
   return true
end wordcase