Lessons from Themes

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Thu Dec 2 12:23:21 EST 2004

On Dec 2, 2004, at 5:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> From: xbury.cs at clearstream.com
> Subject: Re: Lessons from Themes
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> boerse.de>
>

> First of all, windows 2000 doesn't offer an XP theme.
> So, all you can do is simulate Windows 95 technology (9 years old!).
> Second, if RR is going to be multiplatform, or even just WinPlatformed
> you can't prepare the GUI for the other environments without investing
> into
> that platform.
> All your suggestions and tips are welcome!
>
> regards,
> Xavier

Native themes are the way to go, there's no reason for RunRev to spend
1 minute on porting non-native themes to other platforms.  If your
clients are still using 2000 then they don't expect it to look like XP.

It may be a cross-platform development tool, but they don't make it
easy to actually get an app out the door on multiple platforms...I
picked the worst offenders (in terms of controls that don't line up
cross-platform) and use two profiles, one for MacOSX and one for
Windows, to jiggle them up or down as needed.

That said, it would be nice if they would take even the littlest bit of
care and make sure that control font-baselines actually lined up across
platforms.  I submitted a bug before 2.5 went out, showing that there's
a problem with fields and controls not lining up when you move a stack
cross-platform, along with a very simple way to see how this happens,
but they decided it wasn't important enough to fix.  Oh well...

-- Frank

Web Photos Pro: Software for Photo Bloggers and Other Photo Power Users
See us on the web at http://www.webphotospro.com/