Serial comm differences between PC & Mac?

Gordon Tillman got at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 2 10:57:20 EST 2004

Howdy!

About this:

> I am connected via a serial cable (on OSX with a Keyspan serial
> adapter)
> to our phone system to capture our call data. Thanks to Sarah's serial
> stack (THANKS, SARAH!), I got up & running quickly & everything works
> great. But when I unplug from my mac & plug into com1 on the PC & use
> my
> program, I'm getting different results.

I'm working on a form scanner application in RR that runs on Mac OS X
and Windows.  I, too, use a KeySpan serial adapter to hook the form
scanner to the Mac.  I found something very interesting.

As you know, you put your settings into the serialControlString before
you open the connection.  I found that if I used a parity setting that
was correct according to the device I was hooked to then I would get
extra characters in the data that was read from the external device.

But I found that if I changed the PARITY value in the
serialControlString to us no parity; e.g., PARITY=N, then the data was
read correctly, with no extraneous characters, even though the device
was using odd parity.

I am thinking that the KeySpan driver was massaging the data somehow,
or else automatically doing the parity negotiation with the external
device.

NOTE:  When I used the same device with the same KeySpan adapter,
plugged into the USB port on my Windows machine, I did not see this
phenomenon.

I don't know if this is what is causing your problem or not, but it may
be worth looking in to.

--gordon