OOP with Revolution

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Dec 1 16:49:32 EST 2004

On Nov 30, 2004, at 6:42 PM, Gordon wrote:

> How about a Rev component with no interactive features
> that could be used simply as a container for scripts
> and custom properties. It could be set in the rev
> preferences as visible or invisible on a card, but
> would otherwise inherit the properties of the general
> class of object from which I imagine all the other
> components are descended.

I have experimented with something that uses arrays and thus is outside
the usual that folks are looking for OOPS, but you might find it fun or
interesting.  All members including methods are array elements.
Inheritance is by initialization copying (left to right for mixins).
Maybe you can think of a better way.  Methods might be full handlers or
references to handlers.  The first is very slow and the latter a little
slow since 'do' and 'value' do not cache or do other related
optimization (no enhancement request in bugzilla, yet?).  I have
tinkered mostly with the latter.

Arrays have some limitations that make them hard to use as values,
unfortunately.  An array element cannot be an array (bugzilla 555).
You cannot nest functions involving array values (no enhancement
request yet?).  Arrays cannot be in send parameters (bugzilla 1240).
Keys cannot be binary in general (bugzilla 761).

Dar