More Discoveries About Docs in 2.5

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sun Aug 29 15:39:57 EDT 2004

I figured since I complained fairly loudly about the way the Search
stuff works in 2.5 docs, I should balance that with a better-attitude
post when I found something useful.

Balances the karma, ya know?

If you type in a term and select Filter With and then click on Objects
in the toolbar of the docs window, you get a very nice, contextual
listing of the term for which you are seeking information. Very cool.

In fact, I'm becoming convinced that if we could just set the default
"mode" for doc searches, the new design is quite elegant. The problem
as I see it is that it defaults to a mode where "Search for" rather
than "Filter On" is the default setting and Topics is the default
search location. That, it seems to me, is the most comprehensive and
therefore (especially for newbies) the least useful of all the possible
approaches to search. This is particularly true given that the returned
results are not sorted in any obviously meaningful way.

But working with the docs just a bit has enabled me to find a way that
is most comfortable and useful to me.

Oh, and BTW, the bookmark stuff is VERY helpful.