switching between movies

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Mon Aug 23 11:55:30 EDT 2004

On Aug 23, 2004, at 12:28 AM, Jason Tangen wrote:

> I have two movies (both 640x480, 240 frames, ~2MB each).  I want to
> allow the user to click a button to switch back and forth between the
> two without delay.  Right now - I'm using the following strategy:
>
> on keydown key
>   if key = space then
>     put the currentTime of player "A" into Atime
>     set lockscreen to true
>     hide player "A"
>     set the currentTime of player "B" to Atime
>     show player "B"
>     start player "B"
>     set lockscreen to false
>   else pass keyDown
> end keydown
>
> ...but this results in a rather noticeable delay between the clips.  I
> found that setting alwaysBuffer to false helps, but not much.  I tried
> importing the clip - but the videoPlayer doesn't allow you to set the
> current frame or time.  I thought about frame-based animation or
> animated gifs, but animated gifs seems rather memory intensive
> (especially for 240 frames!)

Hi Jason,

I modified your program slightly.  The main thing I noticed was to take
out the lock screen.  This made things pretty snappy.  The faster the
computer, the faster the transition.  I put this code at the card
level.

on keydown thekey
   put thekey
   if thekey = "1" then
     stop player "B"
     put the currentTime of player "B" into Atime
     hide player "B"
     set the currentTime of player "A" to Atime
     show player "A"
     start player "A"
   end if

   if thekey = "2" then
     stop player "A"
     put the currentTime of player "A" into Atime
     hide player "A"
     set the currentTime of player "B" to Atime
     show player "B"
     start player "B"
   end if
   pass keyDown