simple libSMTP send example, help

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Aug 21 19:28:39 EDT 2004

At 16:09 21/08/2004 -0700, Mark Brownell wrote:

>On Saturday, August 21, 2004, at 04:10 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>
>>>put "smtp.btinternet.com" into mServer
>>>   put "25" into mPort
>
>I'm trying to get users of a standalone app to send me a message. Can they
>send using my  mServer, "smtp.earthlink.net" or do I need to some how
>learn how the example gets the user's  mServer , "???" to have this work?

I'd be very surprised  if they could use your SMTP server. That would imply
that anyone could use it - and it would be open to all kinds of spam abuse.

Note that although I set the mPort to 25, I didn't use it :-)
As far as I know, you can pretty much depend on SMTP servers using port 25
these days - but don't rely too much on that .... So it should be as simple
as asking them for their smtp server name. Of course, not all of them will
know ....  not sure how you can solve that.

Have you considered trying to invoke their email program to send the
message; like a browser does with a "mailto:someone at somewhere.com" ?   Not
that I have any idea how you'd go about doing that :-(

>Thanks for all that 200+ work.

My pleasure - I wanted to try out these libraries anyway, so this was a
good trigger to getting round to it. And if I hadn't been so dumb in one
particular way, I'd have got it within 20 tries :-)

-- Alex.