Windows MIDI conversion question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Aug 15 13:05:36 EDT 2004

On 8/15/04 12:18 PM, Ken Norris (dialup) wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>

>>Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 16:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
>>From: Erik Hansen <erikhans08 at yahoo.com>
>>Subject: Windows MIDI conversion question
>>
>>mci & mciSendString()
>>mci MIDI in 3 steps
>>
>>these use MIDI files. is there a Windows way
>>to convert xTalk commands like
>>play "60q 62e 64e" -- to MIDI files?
>

> Not sure. I know "ShakoBox" works in Rev on the Mac. Did you try it?
>
> Jacque can speak to this better.

It works on Mac by sending Apple Events to a tiny custom translation
app. But it doesn't work on Windows because it is AppleScript, and Eric
is looking for a Windows solution.

The user contributions page on Rev's web site has a stack by UDI called
"makeSMF v1.3" which may work. I haven't worked with it much, but if I
remember right it needs to write a file to disk. I don't know if that
would be fast enough for "live" music creation but it is worth a look.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com