Table fields... oh boy.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Aug 15 02:17:18 EDT 2004

Troy Rollins wrote:
> To me, data grids are a pretty critical functionality....

For me too, but I think you're talking about a very specific
implementation of a data grid, perhaps the type one sees in spreadsheets
or the type supported by HTML.

The built-in multi-column field has been doing me just fine for years.
You can put up to 4GB of tab-delimited data into it and get instant
results by setting the tabStops property. It supports most of the
behaviors commonly associated with database display, including
properties for selecting either single or multiple lines, and even
discontiguous selection.

 > It creates interface bottlenecks
> where entire multi-field cards are used instead of a single multi-column
> line in a grid. This is not a workable solution in many cases, since it
> doesn't support relational sorting, etc.

What is "relational sorting"?

The built-in sort command will do well with the built-in multi-column
list object, with the only caeat being that no single line of text can
be longer than 64k (which is probably wider than would be practical for
most common uses anyway).

> It isn't an actual OS native grid

Where did you get the impression any OS provides a data grid control?

If there's a native data grid control in OS X or XP it's very new; for
the previous 20 years everyone rolled their own.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation