dBase lib

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 12:48:46 EDT 2004

--- Dave LeYanna <dleyanna at rtl.org> wrote:
> I know that is one way to do it but I wanted native
> access (direct file
> access) because of difficulties in setting up ODBC
> on client desktops and
> the problems with mixed OS environments.
>
> Thanks for your help. This may be the way that I
> have to go...
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

Though the file format itself is not overly
complicated and well documented online, the hard part
is creating the actual database engine that would
parse your SQL commands and spit out the result of
your SELECT.
The ODBC driver takes care of all that ; and with
Valentina, MySQL, PostgreSQL and other databases
natively supported, hardly anyone will see the need to
write a native driver for dBase files -- now if this
had been 8 years ago...

Jan Schenkel.

=====