Cross platform fonts question

Mark Swindell mdswindell at charter.net
Thu Aug 12 11:52:08 EDT 2004

On Aug 12, 2004, at 12:22 AM, Cubist at aol.com wrote:

> I really don't get why this issue is insurmountable.

>    None of these questions are trivial. If you truly do not perceive
> the
> difficulty, I'd say that you either (a) are not well-informed on the
> issue, or (b)
> haven't invested sufficient thought in the issue, or (c) a combination
> of
> both.

First, I used the word insurmountable, not trivial.  Worlds apart in
meaning and implication.  I also said I think solving this very "in
your face" problem should be a priority.  It is a problem common to all
who create with Rev in any platform.

I then suggested two ways that "might" make this thorn in the side more
manageable:

1) Revolution itself investing in and distributing a limited number of
font faces which would be identical across platforms (requiring
individuals to hire fontographers on their own is not viable).

2) Revolution providing a mechanism for these fonts, as needed, to
reside within the standalone and be called from there.

It appears the former has been shown to work for some users.  You seem
to be saying that latter option might be legitimate, too, but like you
I am ignorant of how it might happen.

While you would be correct in saying that I am (c) a combination of not
well-informed and without having invested a lot of thought in the
issue, I'm ok with that.  It's not an area I feel I should need to
become expert.  I do feel Rev users of any skill level deserve a simple
(to the user), upfront solution to what seems to be a plaguing problem
that is not being addressed systemically from  within the Rev
environment.

Mark