Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Aug 9 00:05:34 EDT 2004

On Aug 8, 2004, at 3:40 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> One area that has been historically weak at the various incarnations
> of the RunRev site is demonstrating the scope of the "infrastructure":
> there has not been (nor is there currently) a page devoted to
> Conferences and Events, where folks can see that RunRev has acquired
> an audience sufficient to have three conferences this year alone, with
> several regional users groups starting up.

Good point. I think this is a subset of the whole issue of how and why
RunRev ought to promote the power of this community in the broader
sense. I'd like to see a front-page link to a section of the site
maintained by one or more users where we flat-out brag about this tool
and what it can do, what we've done with it, what we know about that
others have done, etc. Maybe we need to create an external site for
this and get RunRev to link to it. We discussed something like this at
the RMS in Monterey last month but so far nothing has happened as far
as I know.

> Beyond that, what other things might help make the value of choosing
> Rev more self-evident?

user contributions that are *apps* rather than dev tools and developer
support, that solve real-world problems in interesting ways, that are
open sourced so that newbies can open them, look at them, understand
them, adapt them, and learn from them.

> The value's there.  The problem isn't the tool, it's communicating
> what the tool has already accomplished.

Given that you're right -- and I'm not yet convinced you are -- then we
need to band together as a community and make this case much, much
stronger.

What we need is a special group of evangelists out promoting the crap
out of this thing. Maybe RunRev can create something like the MS VIP
program?

Dan