Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Aug 7 19:20:25 EDT 2004

Ken....

Good observations based (obviously) on experience. You may be right,
though I wonder how easily this kind of market is located and tapped.
Other comments below.

On Aug 7, 2004, at 2:47 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> However, I would disagree with you when it comes to the
> small-to-medium-sized businesses out there. Most of them just want to
> "get
> the job done", as quickly, efficiently, and cost-effectively as
> possible.

While I think that's fundamentally true, it's also true that they look
at total cost of ownership. And the big question that *I* hear when I
propose to use Revolution to do a project centers on the question of
long-term maintenance. That question, in turn, has two parts: (1) how
long will the company (RunRev) be around; and (2) if Dan gets run over
by a dinosaur, how easy will it be for me to find another Rev
developer? I can usually get by the first one by explaining the whole
engine story but the second has been a show stopper twice. In both
cases, I simply passed on the contracts because, frankly, I don't want
to get really good at any more programming languages. I'm getting too
old. :-D

> *Here* is where Rev (and other tools of its ilk) *can* make inroads.
> All
> that it takes is enough compelling evidence that RunRev isn't going
> anywhere, that the underlying engine has been around for a decade, and
> that
> it is the most efficient way to develop the application/product they
> want,
> and it's a much higher chance that said company will allow for a tool
> like
> Rev to be used.

I think you're right that the chances of getting the  small to medium
sized company to adopt Rev is much higher than that of a corporation.
But it's still not very high, IMNSHO.