translater tool, whoa

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Sat Aug 7 12:20:35 EDT 2004

Andrew,

Glad you asked. Surely I need a faq to answer those...

Pointers are not handled. Or they will be mishandled.
I may leave a choice to convert the notations

this.that
and
this->that

 as this[that]

I've seen object.rect->topleft and this gets more confusing...
so object[rect,topleft] is the answer but it's gets weirder
the more code you see ;)

Pointers can be much more complex
than just simple assignment of variable addresses.
Even a for loop can hard to parse
for(mystruct* s->t=0; (x ? i,z)< thisfcuntion();++i) // etc...
is a beast to translate...

But I got some ways of doing some of these cases.
Recognizing how a for loop is incremented alone
means different strategies for repeat statements.

Like basic's goto statements what do you do?

Now, pointers...

How could I translate a register barrel shifter for example?
in a code like this
#define SIZEOF(thisstruct)
int *b=thisstruct->nextpointer

where you move from struct element to another using the pointer
is best done with a simple
thisstruct[b,element]

Some C++ or Java oriented constructs/logic must be done
by hand.

As I said it does the tedious translation and parsing the job.

you did see the screen shots right?