Rev's Mac-Centricity (Was: Plea to sell Dan's book widely)

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Sat Aug 7 13:39:23 EDT 2004

On Aug 7, 2004, at 2:15 AM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> And remember, both Flash and Director found some success on PC's, and
> originally shipped with an Xtalk language.

This is mostly true, though Flash never really had an XTalk language,
it had a unique (and very basic) scripting language which quickly
evolved to a pseudo JavaScript syntax, and then to fully JS.
Interestingly, Flash seems to enjoy a greater popularity on Windows,
while Director developers seem to have (even today) a disproportional
penchant for Mac.

This could make one believe that in general, Windows based developers
have less interest overall in XTalk languages. I think it could be a
case of the fact that Mac users don't recognize any correlation between
"ease of use" and "lack of power", while Windows users equate "hard and
cryptic" with "more powerful." List members excepted, of course.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.