Plea to sell Dan's book widely

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Aug 6 11:30:14 EDT 2004

On Aug 6, 2004, at 7:10 AM, Mark Brownell wrote:

> On Thursday, August 5, 2004, at 09:33 PM, Troy Rollins wrote:
>
>> Convincing a book distributor that Revolution has as much appeal to
>> the unwashed masses as iTunes?
>>
>> Good luck with that one.
>> --
>> Troy
>
> Amazon.com has a small publisher section that would allow Dan /
> Revolution to sell his book from the Amazon website. His book would
> pop up for any requests for books on Runtime Revolution. Of course Dan
> would need to take a 50% reduction in earnings to ask for that level
> of exposure and the percentage of loss to him might even be greater.
> It might be better to advertise the existence of his book and keep
> selling it direct. What you are really saying is that more Revolution
> exposure would be nice. Advertising could handle both issues and earn
> enough from it to pay for the print runs.

I don't have any problem with cutting deals like this as a rule and I
certainly don't have an issue with this book, which has sold remarkably
few copies.

There are two problems with going to amazon.com with this book.

First, fulfillment is still out of Edinburgh, which drives the cost of
the book very high.

Second, to the extent that we enter into new contractual distribution
deals we cloud the possibility of success with a traditional publisher,
who is already going to be quite reluctant to work with us just based
on the minuscule size of the potential audience.

If it were up to me, we'd use amazon.com and a bunch of other places to
try to get the word out. But it's more complicated than it seems on the
surface, at least until Kevin and I have either cut a deal or given up
on the idea.

Dan