Advise on enterprize application.

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Aug 2 16:52:08 EDT 2004

On Aug 2, 2004, at 1:36 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> I am now thinking in doing the other way, I make the server using my
> webserver stack and valentina, and they access it by the web, they can
> pass thru the firewall to do webrequests... but that's ugly I hate
> deploying apps using web interface. It's just simple DBs with 6 tables
> and couple joins... should be easy!!!!
>
> I look forward to some advise for I must deliver this yesterday, and
> they just phoned to say that the other companies will use the program,
> that's why I am in a hurry... that's also the money that should take
> me to malta. And since they are publishing and marketing company they
> know nothing of IT they think that for them to use an app and for
> outside-of-lan-ambient people to use the same app is trivial....
> hell!!!!! firewalls!!! fake IPs!!!!!!
>
> anyone here got an advise or idea, I am begining again from the
> scratch so any advise is good.

Here is how I think I would approach it -

Client

Rev application which makes requests over port 80 to a PHP/Perl/Rev CGI
which talks to the central  DB (MySQL, Valentina, etc.).  The data is
returned in a predetermined format.  Your app parses returned data and
populates the interface as needed.  You don't have to redo your
interface, just the how the data is obtained.

Server

PHP/Perl/Rev, etc

This will do all the talking to the db.  A request might look something
like this:

http://mycoolserver.com/mycoolapp.php?GetFunnyRecords

GetFunnyRecords would run a predefined query and output the data to the
client.  The data could be like a slimmed down xml -

<status="OK">
<error="">
<records>
	<record>
		<name>bob</name>
		<id>12</id>
	</record>
</records>

or just return one url encoded record per line (with status and error
message being lines one and two) depending on your data.

Would this work for you?

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia