Documentation on developing externals

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Tue Apr 27 02:20:50 EDT 2004

On 26.04.2004 17:39:41 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>MisterX wrote:
>
>> Has no one tried CompileIt on RR?
>> Unfortunately it seems no longuer alive...
>
>There may be a relationship between the two. ;)

Unfortunate it is... But does it work or not? ;)

Surely many XCMDs can still be made the easy way with an old
HC "IDE"...

>Making a Compile-It!-like tool for Rev would be especially difficult
>with its 12 supported platforms.
>
>I'd rather see the effort go into optimizing Transcript so we get native
>performance on all platforms.  Then again, since it seems to run as fast
>as at least one "compiled" language maybe it's not so bad as it is. ;)

true. Dont forget opengl objects and and and and ;)

>Historically the approach for resolving bottlenecks has been to add
>language features that address them directly.  For two recent examples,
>the split and compine commands were added as the result of discussions
>on optimization needs.

>What specific tasks are you looking to speed up?

I was just trying to help those looking for an easy way to create XCMDs...

The C external examples I've found can be confusing. Lots of garbage the
programmer doesn't need to worry about. The glue is also quite messy
looking
(although Im sure it's necessary)... But a new, cleaner approach to
externals
would be welcome Im sure...

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER