How do I Create a Custom Property, part 19,214,651

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Apr 24 07:48:29 EDT 2004

>Dave, if we see the return character as a divider or separator
>rather than a terminator, it all makes a bit more sense, I think.
>The line count will always be the number of return characters + 1,
>as it is assumed that there is data both before and after a return
>character .

I see what you are saying, but even that way of looing at it falls
down since if you have a string that just conatins one CR character,
there is only one (blank) line.

The definition seems to me to be:

myLineCount = number of CR in myString
if last char of last line of myString is not equal to CR then
  add 1 to myLineCount
end if

In which case, for me anyway, it really does help to see it as a
"terrminator" rather than a "delimiter", although it acts as both.

>Remember, a  return delimited list in Rev is just one string, not
>many, and I don't know how Rev terminates a string, if at all, but
>as users, we don't have to deal with that.

I would guess that it hold a counter of the size of the string, this
would make sense, since it would take a long time to keep recomputing
the size by scanning each character.

Thanks
Dave