How do I Create a Custom Property, part 19,214,651

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 21 15:59:49 EDT 2004

>In my simplistic view of things, here's how I make sense of your experience:
>
>- "the number of lines" returns the number of CR chars found in your target
>data.
>
>- the CR char was designed to do one thing: to end the current line, causing
>what follows it to be in a new line. If it exists in the middle of the data,
>a new line of data comes after it; if it's at the end of the data, it is the
>last char of the last line. No new line is created EVEN THOUGH its
>field-display characteristic (hard-wrapping) remains the same.
>
>HTH
>Phil Davis

Well it does make it a bit clearer as to the intention of the CR, but
figure this one! If you have (one) line that does not contain a CR at
the end, then the line count is returned as 1!

If you have a return followed by a line of data that does not have a
CR at the end, then the line count is returned as 2!

So your definition above is not quite true! It looks like what is
counted is CRs + an implied CR is there isn't one at the end of the
last line.

Cheers
Dave