How do I Create a Custom Property, part 666

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Apr 21 11:03:35 EDT 2004

Hi David,

>> I'm afraid you are thinking far to complicated, especialy in this
>> case....
> No, I was thinging "simple", RR complicated IHMO, for instance, how is:
>
> if myNewCustomProp is empty then
> put return & "myNewCustomProp" after myCustomKeys
>
> simpler than:
>
> put "myNewCustomProp" after myCustomKeys

I don't hink that the terms "simple" or "difficult" apply here...

The programmer/scripter is responsible for supplying data to the engine
in a format
that the engine can handle...

The engien gives a damn about empty lines, but YOUR scripts may cause
trouble in that case...

>> Most things in RR are "natural", i mean they are just like they are,
>> no misteries :-)
>> Therefore i suggested to think of a list as a field (maybe with
>> "listbehaviour" set to true)...
>>> But anyway, surely it would be MUCH better to have each item finish
>>> with a return,
>>> that way you would never have to worry about the "empty" test.
>> Are you sure? ;-)
> Yes!

Quod erat demonstrandum! ;-)

>> Even in that case you could end up with an empty item, if you don't
>> check for "emptyness"!!!
> How so? If you always did:
>
> put "myNewCustomProp" & return after myCustomKeys
>
> this would work regardless of the current contents of myCustomKeys!
>
> Of course you'd get an empty line if you just did:
>
> put return after myCustomKeys
>
> but in that case you'd be explicity asking for an empty line and the
> same would be true of appending the return to the start of the new
> property anyway!

You are exspecting a "thinking" engine?

"Hmmm, put "myNewCustomProp" & return after myCustomKeys? That will
procude an empty line!
I am sure the user does not want this, so i simply delete the trailing
CR when nobody is looking..." :-D

See below...

>> And how could you differ LINES in that case?
>> Sorry, but that would not work.
>
> Don't understand what you mean "differ LINES".

You suggested to separate "items" by CR, and that way, we could not
differ "lines", because then
CR would not separate "lines" anymore! ;-)

> Why wouldn't the above work?
> Seems to me like it would work better than what is there already.

Sure, with a "thinking" engine, that takes care of empty lines...

>>> Well haveing definitions of parameters in the dictionary would be
>>> one step towards that,
>>> at least in my corner of the world!!!
>> C'mon David!
>> Where do you live?
>> Absurdistan? :-D
> I live in a land where terms that are mentioned in dictionaries aught
> be have those terms in the dictionary!

Sounds like heaven, if that's the only problem in your country :-D

What i really mean is: Get you some humor!
That's absolutely essential, if one is creating software and working
with tools of any kind ;-)

> All the Best
> Dave

Regards