How do I Create a Custom Property

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 21 10:57:33 EDT 2004

>I realize this is partly about documentation and I haven't read
>through the whole thread, but I think a simple way around all of
>this is to use the following code:
>
>put "my New Line" into line (number of lines of myList + 1) of myList
>
>This has worked well for me.

I don't think it will work in the case of the Custom Properties
though, since it returns a list like so:

Empty List - just an empty list can be tested for with "if empty"

List with 1 Line in it:
"Line1"                                           (No Return)

List with N Lines in it:
"Line 1"                                          (No Return)
<return> "Line 2"
<return> "Line 3"
<return>  "Last Line"

So, I think after running your code, on the last case it would look like this:

"Line 1"                                          (No Return)
<return> "Line 2"
<return> "Line 3"
<return>  "Last LineMyNewLine"

Which is the same as doing this:

put "my New Line" after myList

Just think it's an odd way to handle a list of lines is all, if the
return character ALWAYS terminated a line (like in 99.99999% of most
files are stored and the way 99.9999999% of applications work), then
you wouldn't need to worry about the current contents of the list and
you could write:

put "my New Line" & return after myList

instead of:

if myList is empty then
    put "my New Line" into myList
else
    put return & "my New Line" after myList
end if

which in my books has just got to be a better solution for a number of reasons!

All the Best
Dave