Documentation on developing externals

Trevor DeVore trevor at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Apr 21 10:31:18 EDT 2004

On Apr 21, 2004, at 6:10 AM, David Burgun wrote:
> I was/am looking for this too. I have downloaded the Externals SDK but
> there is no documentation and the CodeWarrior Project doesn't compile.
> Actually the files don't even have the correct creator and types, so
> you have to figure out which file is which and manually set the
> correct creator/type. The state of this SDK is SO bad that they don't
> even tell you which version of CodeWarrior is was *supposed* to
> compile with.

Bug (Enhancement) #667 addresses this.  There is a comment which says
there is a preliminary tutorial done and it should be incorporated into
the encyclopedia ASAP.  So we should see something soon.

> I really can't see that there needs to be that much documentation with
> the SDK as long as there is a sample External/Stack that compiles and
> works! Sadly that appeats too much to ask for!!!!!

I found the article by Tim Monroe in MacTech magazine very helpful
(September, October and December 2003).  At the time I didn't subscribe
to MacTech so I just ordered the individual issues online.  You could
also look at source code from the EnhancedQT external I've worked on
<http://mangomultimedia.com/developer/revolution/enhancedqt.html> or
revzeronconf from Alex Rice
<http://mindlube.com/developer/revzeroconf/index.html>.  Those might be
helpful.

In the source code for the EnhancedQT external there are some useful
functions that Tuviah shared with me for dispatching messages to
Revolution objects and changing native paths to Rev paths.  That might
be helpful.  Look at the ExtUtilities.c file.

> I've posted questions here but had no reply.
>
> BTW, I've can't find the link to the SDK, could someone point me to it
> again?

You can get the SDK here:
<http://www.runrev.com/revolution/downloads/distributions/>.  Just
click on the sdk folder.