REV, RB, SC speed test, Latest results

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Tue Apr 20 03:48:11 EDT 2004

> Chris,
>
> Good stuff!
> Only one question for you: for your app, do you distribute the target
> texts, or are they supplied by the user, and are they reused?
>
> What I'm getting at- the one last optimization tweak you could make
> would be to "combine" the generated array and write it out as an index
> for the text. Then the next time running the application, you could
> just load the index instead of re-generating it.
>
> Of course, it looks like it's pretty speedy as-is, although you have a
> pretty hefty machine running it =).

Yep... that's where I was going with the script locals the other day but it
didn't get much of a response for some reason. I've got the data loading
stage down to 8 milliseconds using the put url method rather than the open
file method.

The other thing worth noting is that the two replace quote with empty
statements take about 200 milliseconds of the Check Matches time on my
machine which seems to produce results quite alot faster than these.

Cheers

Monte

> > Revolution (2.2) -- Total = 1,118 ms
> > Load data = 19 ms
> > Check Matches = 821 ms
> > Display All = 278 ms
> >
> > RealBasic (5.5.1) -- Total = 3,189 ms
> > Load data = 608 ms
> > Check Matches = 833 ms
> > Display All = 1748 ms
> >
> > SuperCard (4.1.2) -- Total = 13,472 ms
> > Load data = 0 ms

This seems unlikely. How does this take no time?

> > Check Matches = 11952 ms
> > Display All = 1520 ms

Cheers

Monte