not every text file a text file?

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Mon Apr 19 23:13:34 EDT 2004

Hi Fritz,
Is the problem selecting the file to read or actually reading it after
you have the file name? If it is a file selection problem it may be a
problem with a file filter which can be difficult in OS X. OS 9 and
earlier used file types & creator codes to identify files. OS X partly
uses these and partly using file extensions, so sometimes a file is not
recognized as being anything!
Try this:
   answer file "Select a file:"  -- no filters
   put it into tFile
   put URL ("file:" & tFile) into fld 1

Cheers,
Sarah