reading win and mac text files on linux

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 17 09:43:48 EDT 2004

Martin Baxter wrote:
> For quite a while now I've been moving a large set
> of plain text data files back and forth between mac
 > and windows and revolution has read and written
> them seamlessly on either platform, regardless of
> the line end characters in the files it opens.
 > (I'm just using "put into url x", and "put url x
> into", with the "file:" protocol.)
>
> Recently I moved these data files to Linux, read
> them into revolution and was surprised that no
 > automatic conversion of line endings seems to be done
> when opening them on that platform. The Mac text
> files opened into revolution as a single line with
 > a sprinkling of ascii 13s, and the PC files all have
 > a spare ascii 13 at the end of each line.
>
> I expected line endings to be converted

I had the impression that using this:

   get url ("file:"&tMyPath)

....would translate line endings unless the URL is remote (i.e., using
"http" instead of "file").  It might be good to check that against older
versions of the engine and the docs to ensure it's not a a bug.

This may work well:

   open file tMyPath for text read
   read from file tMyPath until EOF
   close file tMyPath